The Staten Island Chapter of the American Institute of Architects is proud to present the Fall 2020 Spaghetti-Marshmallow Building Contest. This wonderful event is open to children from grades 2 through 8. The goal is for students to explore their creativity through the world of Architecture.
1) Projects to be constructed of spaghetti and marshmallows – no glue, tape, or other types of adhesive material is permitted. There is no maximum height or footprint, however, keep in mind that you will be transporting your creation to the competition. Sketches or written descriptions are not required but are encouraged to have for the time of your presentation.
2) Have fun, be creative, experiment with your materials, and learn something along the way.
3) Team entries are encouraged.
4) No entry fees are required, however, we request entrants bring a non-perishable food item for donation to one of our local food pantries.
5) Building materials are to be provided by the contestants.
6) All submissions must be delivered to the venue by the contestant.
Architects from the Staten Island Chapter of the American Institute of Architects will judge all entries.
Prizes of $200, $100, and $75 gift cards will be awarded to the top three entries in each category with additional prizes being awarded for honorable mentions. The Best In Show prize award will be a $200 gift card & Walt Disney Castle Lego Set. Each contestant will receive an official certificate of recognition.
Contestants will be grouped into two categories, 2nd – 5th graders and 6th – 8th graders. Entries will be judged based on design and creativity. Remember that there are no wrong solutions, so have fun and be creative!
Feel free to email at any time with questions or if you would like clarification on anything. Please visit our website at www.aiasiny.org or you could find us on Facebook at: AIA Staten Island. We hope to see you there!